Monday, July 11, 2011

What Grandma says...

This past weekend I spent a lot of time with my friend’s grandmother. I visited her 5 times throughout the weekend, each time for about an hour. Of all the coffee dates I’ve had with my friends, I think my visits with grandma topped them all. We chatted about the Yankee game and Derek Jeter’s 3000th hit! She told me stories of her own grandchildren and their endeavors in baseball and how she would use this historic event to teach her grandson about the importance of sportsmanship! 
We oohed and awed over her son’s beautiful golden lab. Grandma paused for a moment (I could sense she was reminiscing) and then looked at me and narrated the story of her son’s first dog - the wanting of the dog, the finding of the dog, and the puppies the dog had, etc. This story was wonderful and the way she told it - I felt like it was yesterday, despite the fact that it was over 40 years ago. 
I couldn’t help but wish I had a video camera handy to capture those stories so I could share them with her children and with the grandchildren. She was the perfect reminder for me of “sharing the story”! 

For more information on capturing the stories of someone you know, visit www.memens.com. 

No comments:

Post a Comment