Thursday, March 17, 2011

Once upon a bus ride in Italy...

Hello! Resident blogger here! I really appreciate what Memens does for its clients. As a client myself, I have found peace in knowing I can share my grandparents with my future children and their children, and so on. I’ve also seen the mindfulness of posterity in my recent experiences: 
I recently traveled to Italy, where I frequently rode the public buses. There was one afternoon bus ride I will never forget. An elderly man sat near me and after several stops started speaking to me in broken English. He told me stories of his visit to America. He visited California and drove to New York. He experienced the Pacific Ocean, the palm trees, the freeways, the Big Apple. He was so proud of his travels, and so willing to share with a perfect stranger. It was clear that he had so many more stories to share. During my conversation, I learned that he had suffered from lung cancer, which left him with a stoma. Inevitably, he will lose his ability to speak, an absolute that was obviously fast-approaching. I couldn’t help but think that his passion for sharing stories should be captured somehow for posterity. While a lifetime of smoking will, in the near future, extinguished his ability share his memories, a video/audio documentary would enable the immortality of his stories, memories, and the passion for which he told them. This is a man who would benefit from a Memens video. 
Though Memens isn’t available to my new friend from the bus (yet), it is nationwide and has the ability to capture the stories and memories of many of our elderly friends, who, like the man on the bus in Italy, have a story to tell.



Visit us at www.memens.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment