Thursday, October 13, 2011

Out of the mouths of babes...

My grandparents have so much they can teach me. They grew up before technology transformed the modern world. They attended school when schools still used book and school buses were non-existent. They became adults, earning income for their family, at the age of 12. They can teach me a lot about life.

But, when a child is diagnosed with a rare form a brain cancer and she responds by saying, "I'm so glad this happened to me and not one of my friends. I am strong and I can handle this. Not everyone can," it's mind-blowing the silver lining lessons I can learn.

When a young man is told he may die before his 16th birthday and decides to start a foundation so that after he dies, research can still continue for others sharing his illness, I am humbled.

When children are more prepared to face Goliath than adults are, I want to hear what they have to say. I want my children to know the incredible people I knew before illness took them. I'd like the siblings, and future nieces and nephews of the boy with the fatal illness to know their brother and uncle years from now.

Memens isn't just for those who are at the end of a long and full life. It is also for those at the end of their young life, fighting and living everyday.

For more information on video documentaries, visit www.memens.com.

Mem

No comments:

Post a Comment